Reopening Waterloo House and Carnegie Library instead of demolishing it. It provides an ideal location between the canal, town and railway for a Runcorn Heritage centre. As a former home of Charles Hazelhurst and then town hall and library, extended in 1906 with a grant from Carnegie. The building was at the core of Runcorn’s industrial development. It has the potential to provide a complimentary visitor attraction to the reopening of the locks also a base for the Runcorn Historical Society and a home for their archives. A centre for schools to visit and learn about the waterways, railways and soap industry etc. Edward Kemp designed the garden in 1860. The plan of the garden exists and there is potential to restore it.
Request a moderator to review this